Sunday, September 8, 2013

Da Mercato a Tavola

Having arrived August 28, we have been in Milan 10 days. There are a number of loose ends - need to find a G.P. to get a medical release for the gym, need to find a gym, need to decide on Italian - classes or private lessons.  These details make me realize how routinized our normal life is in Boston;  We all have chosen doctors, have decided if we will use a gym; have determined an exercise routine, or not; can be efficient about shopping because we know where to go for what items.   As complicated as these choices are, I keep thinking about making these decisions in a less developed country.  I also think about the graduate students who each year travel the globe doing research in places they have never been.  With that in mind, what we have to do is easy.

One of the first challenges was determining where to shop and what food we need.  Not unexpectedly (those of you who know the Shepsles will have predicted that this would be a high priority) we have successfully met that challenge.  We now have three local grocery stores, the local market (mercato) and a series of wine stores that Ken is getting to know.  So many Italian wines and so little time.

Here is an example of the process.  In one trip to our local market I observed that the butcher counter offered what appeared to be excellent cuts of veal and beef.  I purchased very inexpensive osso buco and found a recipe on the Epicurious website (osso buco milanese).  All ingredients were available.  My only challenge was chicken broth.  Thank you Marcia for explaining how to ask for it (brodo pollo). (I am very lucky to have friends conversant in Italian who are in the States but are serving as my guide).  And yes I found the chicken broth.

I never thought I would post a picture of anything I made but I wanted to take you from the market to the table.

The butcher

Osso Buco
Many choices

Items from around the world

The Market
Fruits and vegetables, only the best

1 comment:

  1. So, I love the "items from around the world" photo ... you did mean to point out the things on the shelves, not the man himself, right? hahaha.

    ReplyDelete